Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Interview with talented Britain - based Cameroonian singer Debra Debs

Debra Debs is a Britain-based Cameroonian who is making waves with her latest video 'Africa higher higher'. In the following interview, she took out time to tell us more about herself and music.

Idlepark: Hi there, can we call you Debra?

Debra Debs: Haha - Debra Debs sounds more exotic doesn't it?

Idlepark : Tell us some bit about Debra Debs

Debra Debs: I'm a soulful singer, song-writer, born in Africa [Cameroon]  who has been living in the UK for 13 years. I came here at 18 to study Film and Media  but somehow did a degree in Music. It's been a joyous adventure ever since. I released my first EP entitled WHUMAN in 2011,  my full album comes out later this year.

Idlepark: Most artists trace the start of their romance with music to their mother's pregnancy. Tell us about your own and the story so far?

Debra Debs: Hahaha I've never heard of that before but my mum was a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong so I'd go round the house with her radio [bathroom, lounge, bedroom, outside] listening to these artists! I attended a missionary boarding school where we sang day in day out, joined the choir and a girl group writing our own songs. When I quit my Media degree I couldn't think of what else to do but music. My mum contested it but I pushed hard and now she's super-supportive! Although I did the music degree it took me a few years to finally release an album because I always felt if that I had to establish myself in other areas [career] in order to fund the music.I now have a super team behind me, we're working on the album release for later this year and all I can say is  'we can only go higher!!'

Idlepark: For the video to your Africa higher higher track you worked with Feb 16, what influenced your choice and how was working with him?

Debra Debs: My brother took a trip to Cameroon in 2011 and came back with tons of names I should check out on youtube. He showed me Jovi LeMonstre's video [Feb 16th's brother] and I was uber-impressed by what I saw! I'd heard he was one of the best film-makers in Cameroon and the numerous videos I'd seen him do for other artists on youtube cemented the fact that I wanted to work with him. I pitched the Africa video to be grimey, raw and real and he got it in 30 mins. He sourced locations, we shot the video and the rest is history. He's fantastic to work with as I can be a bit of a perfectionist hahaha [he'll know what I am talking about]

Idlepark: Going by your 'Africa higher higher' track, will one be right or wrong to call you an 'activist' musician and why not, if wrong?
Debra Debs: Activist? No. Advocator? Yes. My objective is to educate the world on the struggles of people from Africa. The continent is super-rich in resources and can be self-sufficient yet the rest of the world call us poor. Africa is not poor. The Debra Debs mantra is 'To fly the flag for Africa', so rather than a call to arms, I am calling on leaders to advocate for the under-privileged, to be more consistent and considerate when delivering socio-economic policies. When I wrote the song in 2011 during the North African revolutions I was hurting for the continent and still do. However, at the end of the video we showed Africa in positive light by displaying a female president [Joyce Banda] and the wealthiest man in the continent [Aliko Dangote]

Idlepark: How is the British music scene for African artists like yourself?

Debra Debs: It is supportive. There are tons of events and promoters who focus on promoting Afrobeats and Afro-folk. The British, Europeans and African diaspora are supportive if you work with the right teams to push you through.

Idlepark: Now that this video is out, what's next?

Debra Debs: I'm looking to work with corporations and policy-makers in the continent to help continuously fly the flag for Africa. So wherever they are, tell them I am waiting for that call. I've also got my album due for release at the end of this year so part of the focus is on that too.

Idlepark: If Debra Debs could be a male artist, who would she like to be?

Debra Debs: Tough one! To sing like my favourite gospel artist- Marvin Sapp!

Idlepark: Why him?
Debra Debs: Because he is the best vocalist I know. Unless you have better recommendations. Haha 

Idlepark: Any last word?

Debra Debs: Thank you to everyone who supports the cause and my craft including bloggers, TV stations, etc. This is my first official video and views are still growing so well done to the fans.

Idlepark: Debra, thanks for your time. we wish you all the best.
Debra Debs: Thanks to you too

No comments:

Post a Comment